Apple’s iPad is a popular tablet device that has become a staple in the world of technology. With its sleek design, high-quality display, and powerful processing capabilities, it’s no wonder that the iPad has become a favorite among users of all ages. However, one question that often arises when discussing the iPad is whether or not it can be used as a phone. In this article, we will explore this topic in detail and answer the question, "Can you call on iPad?"
The Basics of iPad Communication
The first thing to understand is that the iPad is primarily designed as a device for data communication rather than voice communication. It is built to access the internet, browse the web, and use various apps. While it is possible to use some communication apps on the iPad, such as FaceTime and Skype, these apps rely on an internet connection rather than a cellular network. This means that you can make calls and send messages only if you are connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data.
With that in mind, let us explore whether it is possible to make phone calls on an iPad.
Can You Make Phone Calls on an iPad?
The short answer is yes, you can make phone calls on an iPad. However, the process is not as straightforward as it is on a traditional phone.
Using FaceTime to make calls on iPad
One of the easiest ways to make phone calls on an iPad is by using FaceTime. FaceTime is a video and audio calling app developed by Apple. It allows iPad users to make calls to other FaceTime users on various Apple devices such as iPhones, iPads, and Macs. FaceTime is pre-installed on all Apple devices, including iPads. To use FaceTime on your iPad, you need to have an Apple ID, which you can create for free. Once you have an Apple ID, you can sign in to your iPad and start using FaceTime to make calls to other Apple device users.
As of September 2021, FaceTime is available on Android. However, you won’t find a FaceTime app available for download on the Google Play Store or Microsoft Store.
Instead, someone with an Apple device needs to create a link to invite you to a FaceTime call. Opening this link in Chrome or Microsoft Edge will let you join the call through a web interface. You unfortunately can’t start a FaceTime call on Android to an iPhone; you’re limited to joining calls that an Apple user sends you.
To make a FaceTime call on your iPad, follow these simple steps:
- Open the FaceTime app on your iPad.
- Tap the " " button at the top of the screen to add a new contact.
- Enter the name or phone number of the person you want to call.
- Tap on the person’s name or phone number in the search results.
- Tap the video or audio icon to start the call.
Using Third-Party Communication Apps to make calls on iPad
Another way to make phone calls on an iPad is by using third-party apps that offer Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services. VoIP apps allow users to make calls over the internet instead of using traditional phone networks. Some of the most popular third-party communication apps for iPad include:
- Skype: Skype is a free messaging app that allows you to make voice and video calls to other Skype users. It works on both Wi-Fi and cellular data connections and is available for download on the App Store.
- Facebook Messenger: Facebook Messenger is a free messaging app that allows you to send text messages, make voice and video calls, and share files with other Facebook users. It works on both Wi-Fi and cellular data connections and is available for download on the App Store.
- Viber: Viber is a free messaging app that allows you to send text messages, make voice and video calls, and share files with other Viber users. It works on both Wi-Fi and cellular data connections and is available for download on the App Store.
To use these third-party communication apps on your iPad, you need to follow these steps:
- Open the App Store on your iPad.
- Search for the communication app you want to use.
- Download and install the app.
- Sign in or create an account if necessary.
- Add the contacts you want to communicate with.
- Start making calls or sending messages.
In conclusion, it is possible to make phone calls on an iPad, but the process is not as straightforward as it is on a traditional phone. If you need to make phone calls regularly and require high-quality audio, it may be better to use a traditional phone instead of an iPad. However, if you need to make occasional calls and prefer the convenience and versatility of an iPad, then any of the methods we have discussed can work for you. It all comes down to your personal preferences and needs.