Hey Siri is a convenient feature that allows iPhone users to use Siri hands-free. With this feature, users can simply say "Hey Siri" followed by their command or query, and Siri will respond without the need to hold down the Side button. However, sometimes users may encounter an issue where Hey Siri is not working on their iPhone 14 Pro. Here are some troubleshooting steps to fix Hey Siri not working on iPhone 14 Pro.
Note: information in this article apply to iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
While you can get along without it, Siri is often integral to the iPhone experience. It’s a quick shortcut for actions in HomeKit, Apple Music, and more. If “Hey Siri” isn’t working on your iPhone 14 Pro, there are a few things you can try to get it back in gear.
Why is “Hey Siri” Not Working on iPhone 14 Pro?
There are several reasons why "Hey Siri" may not be working on your iPhone 14 Pro. Some of the most common causes include:
- ”Hey Siri” is not turned on: If you have not enabled "Hey Siri" in your iPhone’s settings, the feature will not work.
- Microphone issues: Siri uses your iPhone’s microphone to listen for the "Hey Siri" command. If your microphone is not working properly, Siri will not be able to hear you.
- Software issues: Sometimes, software glitches or conflicts can affect "Hey Siri" on your iPhone 14 Pro.
- Internet issues: Siri needs a working internet connection to function properly, so if you are not connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data, Hey Siri will not work on your iPhone 14 Pro.
- VPN interference: Using a VPN on your iPhone 14 Pro can interfere with Internet connection which is necessary for "Hey Siri" to work.
- ”Hey Siri” is disabled for certain scenarios: There are some scenarios where "Hey Siri" may be automatically disabled, such as when your iPhone 14 Pro is face down or covered.
- Siri is not enabled for your language or region: "Hey Siri" may not work if your language or region is not supported by Siri.
- Siri is experiencing server outage: Occasionally, Siri’s servers may experience temporary issues that can prevent "Hey Siri" from working properly.
- Hardware issues: In some cases, "Hey Siri" may not work due to hardware issues, such as a damaged microphone or other component.
How to Fix Hey Siri Not Working on iPhone 14 Pro
If Hey Siri is not working on your iPhone 14 Pro, try these troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. By following these steps, you should be able to get Hey Siri working again and enjoy the convenience of hands-free voice commands.
1. Make sure Siri is running on your phone
The first thing you should do when "Hey Siri" is not working on your iPhone 14 Pro is to ensure the feature is enabled. This problem is unlikely, since Apple prompts you to enable Siri on any new iPhone. But you may have skipped the step or disabled Siri sometime later. Here’s how you can do this:
- Go to Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on Siri & Search.
- Make sure that the switch next to ”Listen for ‘Hey Siri’” is turned on. If it’s not, turn it on.
- If the toggle switch is already on, try turning it off and then on again. This can sometimes help to reset the feature and get it working again.
2. Disconnect your Bluetooth headphones or speakers
People often have their iPhones set to automatically connect to Bluetooth audio devices when one of the latter switches on. If a device has a microphone — like headphones, certain speakers, or even your car — Siri may start listening to it for input, which is obviously a problem if you’re trying to talk directly to your phone.
To rule out this issue, make sure any mic-equipped Bluetooth devices are powered off or disconnected if you’re not using them. You can forcibly disconnect them from your iPhone by opening the Settings app, selecting Bluetooth, then tapping the “i” (info) button next to individual devices. Choose Disconnect for a temporary release or Forget This Device if you want to prevent it from reconnecting. You’ll have to re-pair if you choose to forget.
3. Restart your iPhone
Smartphones sometimes glitch out, including iPhones. If you’ve tried all of the tactics above, there’s a chance that rebooting your iPhone will force a necessary software process to kick into gear.
To reboot your iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Hold down the side and volume-up buttons until the power-off slider appears.
- Drag the slider from left to right to turn off your iPhone.
- Wait a few seconds, then press and hold the Side button again to turn your iPhone back on.
4. Check if your microphone is working
Siri uses your iPhone’s microphone to listen for the "Hey Siri" command. If your microphone is not working correctly, Siri will not be able to hear you. To check if your microphone is working, open the Voice Memos app and try to record a memo. If you can’t record anything, it means that there is an issue with your microphone. Try cleaning off the surface of the mic grille with a microfiber cloth, a toothbrush, or painter’s tape (which doesn’t leave residue). You’ll have to be careful with any of those methods, since Apple’s grilles are relatively delicate, and you don’t want to accidentally introduce new debris. Avoid using compressed air, as that can damage parts.
5. Check for software updates
If "Hey Siri" is still not working on your iPhone 14 Pro after cleaning the microphone, the next step is to check if your device is running the latest version of iOS. Apple frequently releases software updates that include bug fixes and performance improvements. To check for iOS update, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap General.
- Select Software Update. If an update is available, follow the on-screen instructions to download and install it.
6. Turn off VPN
If you’re experiencing issues with "Hey Siri" not working on iPhone 14 Pro when using a VPN, try disabling the VPN temporarily to see if this resolves the issue. To disable a VPN on your iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Go to ”Settings.”
- Toggle off the switch next to ”VPN.”
If disabling the VPN resolves the issue, you may want to consider adjusting your VPN settings or using a different VPN provider that is more compatible with Siri.
7. Check your internet connection
Siri requires an internet connection to work, so if your iPhone 14 Pro is not connected to the internet or has a weak signal, "Hey Siri" may not work. To check your internet connection, open a web browser and try to load a website like geekschalk.com. If the website does not load or loads slowly, you may need to reset your internet connection or move to a location with a stronger signal.
8. Reset your network settings
Resetting your network settings can help resolve issues with your internet connection and other network-related problems. To reset your network settings, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Tap Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Choose Reset.
- Tap Reset Network Settings.
This will erase all saved Wi-Fi networks and passwords, so you will need to re-enter them after the reset is complete.
9. Check Your Language and Region Settings
One of the most common reasons why Hey Siri may not be working on your iPhone 14 Pro is due to incorrect language and region settings. Hey Siri only works if your iPhone language is set to one of the supported languages, and your region is set to a supported region. To check your language and region settings, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings.
- Choose General.
- Select Language & Region.
- Ensure that your language and region are set to a supported option.
10. Turn on Always Listen For Hey Siri
If your iPhone 14 Pro is lying face down, or the display is covered by something, Hey Siri would not work at all. You can shout as loud as you want, but Siri won’t listen. However, there is an option in iOS that lets you force-enable Hey Siri for good. Regardless of where your phone is, the feature will work every single time. Yes, even if it’s shoved deep inside a bag or a pocket.
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on Accessibility.
- You’ll see a list of options here, find the one that is labeled Siri and tap on it to open.
- Enable the “Always Listen for Hey Siri” option here.
Once the option is enabled, you can check if it works by covering the display of your iPhone 14 Pro and just say “Hey Siri.” The screen should light up, ready to take in your commands.
11. Check Server Status For Siri
Sometimes Hey Siri may not be working due to server issues. If Siri servers are down or experiencing technical difficulties, Hey Siri won’t work on your iPhone 14 Pro. You can check the status of Siri servers by visiting Apple’s System Status page. If there is an issue with the Siri servers, you will have to wait until the issue is resolved by Apple engineers.
12. Disable restrictions
If you have enabled restrictions on your iPhone 14 Pro, "Hey Siri" may be disabled. Restrictions allow you to control what apps and features are available on your iPhone, but they can also restrict access to certain features like Siri. To check if restrictions are enabled, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Screen Time.
- Select Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- If restrictions are enabled, you will need to enter your Screen Time passcode to access the settings. Then, scroll down to "Allow" and make sure that Siri & Dictation is enabled.
13. Contact Apple Support
Should none of the above steps work, it’s probably time to take your iPhone 14 Pro into an Apple Store or a third-party repair shop. Microphones do break, and even if your mic is intact, technicians may be able to diagnose and fix the Hey Siri not working on iPhone 14 Pro issue.
Successfully fixed “Hey Siri” Not Working on iPhone 14 Pro
If “Hey Siri" isn’t working on your iPhone 14 Pro, start by checking if "Hey Siri" is enabled and if your phone has the latest software update. Then, try restarting your iPhone, checking your internet connection, resetting your network settings, cleaning your microphone, and disabling restrictions. If none of these solutions work, contact Apple Support for further assistance.