If you have your Apple device on hand and know your Apple ID password, there’s three easy ways to change it.
Your Apple ID is your key to using the integrated services of Apple’s ecosystem, including the App Store, Apple Pay, Apple Music, iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime. You also need one to set up any new Apple device.
There are numerous reasons why you may want to change your Apple ID password. For example, you could be worried that your password could have been or will be compromised – especially if you have been reusing your passwords, and you want to change your password to protect your data and sensitive personal information.
It’s easy to change your Apple ID password. When you do choose a new password, you’ll need to think of one that’s at least eight characters long and uses at least one number, one uppercase letter, and one lowercase letter. You also can’t reuse a password from the last year.
Here are the steps you’ll need to take to change your Apple ID password on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or web browser. Bear in mind that these will only work if you know your current password. If you’ve forgotten it entirely, you will need to go through Apple’s reset password process, which you can initiate from any of your Apple devices.
3 ways to change your Apple ID password
How to change your Apple ID password on iPhone or iPad
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap your name.
- Select ”Sign in & Security.”
- Tap on ”Change password” button.
- Enter your device’s passcode to proceed
- Enter your new password twice.
- Tap ”Change” to change your Apple ID password.
- Sign back into your account using your new password on your various devices to access your Apple account.
How to change your Apple ID password on your Mac
If you use a Mac, you can also change your Apple ID password in system settings. Here’s how:
- Click Apple menu and select System Settings.
- Click your name.
- Select Sign-In & Security.
- Click Change Password.
- Enter the password you use to get into your Mac.
- Enter your new desired Apple ID password twice and click "Verify."
How to change your Apple ID password on your web browser
- Open your browser, go to appleid.apple.com and sign in with your current ID and password
- In the Sign-In and Security section, select Password.
- Enter your current password.
- Now enter your new desired password twice.
- Select Change Password.