You can block a phone number or contact on your iPhone from the Phone app or your Contact list. After you block a number, that caller can no longer reach you. Phone calls do not ring through to your phone, and text messages are not received or stored. Sometimes, however, you may wonder if you can call a number you’ve blocked on your iPhone. You may further wonder if you would need to unblock them before placing a call. In this article, I provide answers to these questions.
Can you call a number you blocked on iPhone?
The answer is yes. Even if you have blocked a phone number on your iPhone, you can make calls to that number normally. Their phone will ring as it normally would. It won’t go straight to voicemail. The recipient will receive calls and can answer and communicate with you. You do not have to unblock them first to call a blocked contact.
When blocked, the owner of that phone number won’t be able to successfully call you, and they won’t be informed that they’ve been blocked.
How to block a phone number on your iPhone
To block a number on an iPhone, just follow these simple steps:
- From the home screen, tap on the phone icon (the white phone in a green square, which is likely located at the bottom of your phone in the favorites bar).
- Tap the "Recents" icon to see the calls that have come into your phone in chronological order.
- Tap the info icon, which is a blue "i" in a blue circle in the column at the right side of the screen, that’s in line with the number at issue.
- Tap the words "Block this caller" at the bottom of the next screen.
- Tap the red words "Block Contact" on the pop up message to confirm.
If you’ve done it right, the contact will now have the words "Unblock this Caller" at the bottom of the screen, and your phone will prevent any calls or texts from coming through. Now, move on to the next one!
How to block one of the contacts in your iPhone
Blocking a contact that’s already in your iPhone is even easier. If you’re done being in contact with someone you know, go to your contacts, tap their name, and hit "Block this Caller" at the bottom of their contact page. That’s it. They’re blocked.
How to unblock a number on your iPhone
- Open the Settings app from your iPhone’s home screen, then tap Phone.
- Tap Blocked Contacts under the Calls section.
- You can remove a contact or number from the blocked list by swiping right, then tapping Unblock.